Not logged inC1 Owners C1ub
Top Home Help Search Register Login OpenID
Up Topic Open Technical Section / Black Museum / Broken camchain tensioner
- - By Clunkfish Date 23-07-2008 19:05
Here is a pic of the top end of the camchain tensioner, the black plastic thing. I tried to pull it out with pliers (you can't, it's fixed) and in doing so managed to snap a bit off :-(
Parent - - By jp72 Date 24-07-2008 04:57
I'm not a specialist but I believe as far as you did not damage the very end of the tensioner this shouldn't be a problem... However I'm affraid you have to get the plastic bit out of your engine...
Parent - - By Lawrie Date 24-07-2008 05:26 been reading about this on the other thread, & couldn't understand what plastic bit on the tensioner, 'cos there aint any!! The tensioner is under the large hex plug on the head, with the hyd tensioner inside it, this pushes onto the chain-guide to keep the chain tight, this has to be removed.  The part in the photo is one of two CHAIN-GUIDES, one simply pulls out, the other (the one in the pic) is fixed via a pin at its lower end, THIS CANNOT be removed unless the bottom-end is stripped.
By removing the tensioner & pulling the removable chain-guide, there is enough chain-slack to play with the valves/cams.

This is the reason you broke it, it will not come out!!
Parent - - By Clunkfish Date 24-07-2008 08:23

>This is the reason you broke it, it will not come out!!

The reason I broke it is because I'm a mechanical nincompoop :-)
Parent - - By jp72 Date 24-07-2008 12:22
At least you tried :)
Parent - By bolt-on-billy Date 29-07-2008 14:09
wont cause any issues though - I thought you meant the cam chain tensioner of which I replaced three last week.
Parent - - By Clunkfish Date 05-08-2008 19:49
In my defence - and I certainly don't want to pick a fight with Lawrie and Bolt-on that I definitely won't win - RealOEM call the bit I broke a "chain tensioner"....
Parent - By Lawrie Date 06-08-2008 05:04
I'll go along with that, but you must remember that all the parts shown from ANY German lists are (naturally) translated, you will find many similar strange/odd names given for various parts, have a troll through their parts Cat & you'll see.

Example: ( )  C1 throttle body exploded drawing calls the inlet rubber hose (No.9), a 'bushing', now, in english this something completely different.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to sound stroppy, but thats the reason I didn't understand you original post.
Up Topic Open Technical Section / Black Museum / Broken camchain tensioner

Powered by mwForum 2.29.3 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill